Monday, July 27, 2009

Birthday Party

The Saturday after Bodie's birthday we had a joint party for the boys. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to make Bodie an airplane cake.


It turned out ok. I really hoped that I'd have had more time to prepare and draw out my plans. Instead I just cut into the cakes hoping I could shape them like an airplane. Then came the frosting. For the first time I made homemade frosting (don't think I can ever go back to can frosting again!). I kept getting frustrated because the cake kept sloughing off into the frosting. I've since learned a couple tricks that I'll use next time. Either frost a thin layer, let set, and then frost again. Or stick the cake in the freezer before frosting. Now I know.

Barrett really, really liked his cake. I knew he'd go a little crazier than Bodie did but I couldn't be prepared for just how crazy he went.



Barrett really didn't know what to think about the presents. He mostly just crawled around while I opened them and then he enjoyed crawling on top of all the boxes. His birthday is not until this Friday so we'll celebrate all over again (and all weekend as we have 2 birthday parties to go to).

We finished up the party by letting the kids swim in the backyard pool. The pool was a huge hit and the perfect size for the kids. Barrett received a water table from grandma and grandpa. I wish I'd taken a picture of him playing with it - it had to be his favorite gift. He loved splashing around and getting wet.

No comments: