Friday, August 7, 2009

Balloon

I still need to post about Barrett's first birthday, but since I am currently too lazy to get off the couch to get the camera (whose battery is about dead anyway) I thought I'd first post about how we bribe Bodie to stay in bed at night.

We have a sticker chart and this week there are 2 rewards - a midweek balloon after 3 stickers and this weekend we will watch Lion King if he gets the rest of his stickers. So last night I was going to take Bodie out to buy his balloon, but first we had to go out to my work. As soon as I walked in the door I couldn't remember if I had shut off my space heater. A quick email to the co-workers in my area didn't yield any responses so I thought Bodie and I would drive out there for a quick check. Of course as soon as we got by my office I saw the one co-worker on my team I'd forgotten to include on the email. So I tried to get my very shy little boy to chat with her. He got as far as telling her that he was getting a PINK balloon and that was it, he went off and looked around, not talking to me or her. So we leave and are driving to a near by grocery store to pick out his PINK balloon. We've been talking a lot about having good manners and being nice to people. I explained that when people talk to him it is nice to talk back to them. And now he's not talking back to me. I tell him that if he can't talk to me we won't stop and get his PINK balloon. So then he says "Ok, what are you doing, mom?" very sweetly, as if he has just seen me for the first time today. I reply "I'm driving to the store". Then again, like a parent talking to their small child, he says "yeah, what else is going on". I couldn't help but laugh at him. We went to the store and got his PINK balloon, very exciting.

One other, unrelated funny thing Bodie said to me the other day... For awhile now, Bodie has used a very small toddler pillow on his twin sized bed. The pillow is about the size of his head, no bigger. So the other day I was out shopping and remembered I needed to pick him up a new pillow for his bed. I picked one out and purchased it. When I picked the boys up from school that night, I told Bodie that I had bought him a new pillow. His reply, "was it on sale, mom?"

No comments: