Monday, August 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby

Barrett did it - he went and turned one, and grew into a sassy little boy when I wasn't watching. He took his first steps last night. Two short ones from me to my dad. I think my mom was very excited to witness his first steps. He couldn't put on a repeat performance for Curt but I think he'll be walking soon. He is very hesitant to let go of anything he is holding onto though. He is pretty much on 1 afternoon nap a day. Daycare was having a little trouble getting him to stop his morning nap but on Friday he started making visits to the Toddler room and, as I thought might happen, he was fine and on the go until afternoon nap. He is only napping about 1 1/2 hours though, but they told me that is typical when a baby moves into that room. I guess it probably takes a little getting used to go from sleeping in a crib to sleeping on a cot (and I still can't believe they get 12 month old babies to sleep on those cots and sit nicely at the table to eat). He hasn't officially moved up but the past 2 days they've brought him over right after breakfast and he's spent the day with the Toddlers. I'm sure he'll be official by week's end.

He has 2 words he uses a lot: "da da" and "all done". He'll pull out the "ma ma" if it is a completely dire situation. Curt thinks he has said "dog" but I haven't heard that yet. He is very good at crying and gesturing at what he wants (doesn't point yet). This morning I put him in his high chair with milk and cheerios. He was fine until Bodie sat at the table with a granola bar (soft, nutragrain type). He immediately started crying when he saw that and just had to have one of his own. I think it is so funny how someone so little can already have so many opinions. It is nice that he lets us know also.

He just started to wave bye-bye. To me it seems a little late but the doctor didn't seem concerned at his appointment a few weeks ago. I'm not sure when Bodie started waving since I am the world's worst record keeper for things like that. He loves to chase Bodie all over the house and especially up the stairs (not anymore though since we bought a new gate last week).

He definitely has a healthy appetite. He drinks way more milk out of his sippy than Bodie ever did at this age. We are done nursing now, since last Thursday. I'm glad we made it through his 1st year and honestly am not sad it is over. I had mixed feeling about giving it up but a painful cut on my nipple helped me get over any sadness I might have felt.

I hope to move the boys in the same room soon. I'm struggling with it a little because Barrett tends to go down for his naps and to bed a little earlier than Bodie. I think that Curt and I will need to make a decision on this soon and if we aren't moving Barrett then we did to do his room a little nicer (since he was just thrown in the combo spare bedroom/storage/junk everywhere room). I wouldn't hesitate to move him if I knew Bodie could go to bed with out whining every night. Right now, I don't feel like we are at that place yet.

The stats from Barrett's appointment:
Height: 30 1/4" 60%
Weight: 22lb 13.6oz 50%
Head: 18 1/2" 72%

I don't know how he doesn't weigh more with all that he eats. I guess all the crawling must balance that out (and if I remember correctly, I don't think Bodie gained much at all between 9 mos and 1 year due to being so active).

No comments: