Monday, November 9, 2009

Swimming Lessons part deux

Bodie just finished up his second swimming lesson experience. (I thought I blogged about our 1st swimming lesson experience, but I can only find a few short updates. I'll just say it was 30 minutes of frustration and crying for a month and a half). We've been to the pool a few times and Bodie usually has fun, so I was hopeful this go round of lessons would be more successful. Well things did start out promising. The first few lessons Bodie would try the tasks the teacher asked. He still wasn't too fond of trying to float, but he would blow bubbles, walk away from me, pick things up off the pool floor, etc. One weekend Curt and I were out of town and my mom took Bodie to his lesson. She said he did pretty well but the following week when I took him back his behavior was horrible. He wouldn't do ANYTHING. He stood there or clung to me the entire lesson. The following week was more of the same. I thought that week was the last lesson but the teacher told me there was one left. As fate would have it we were going out of town again, this time with the boys. I felt relieved that I wouldn't have to take him to anymore lessons. I also felt relieved not to be at the last lesson. You know, the one where the teacher tells you if your child passed or failed (and I'd guess we were in the latter category). Well imagine my surprise later that week when Bodie's report card came in the mail.

He PASSED! WTF! The teacher marked that he could do everything (including calling 911 for help...um doubtful, but ok). Actually I am glad that he passed. Part of me thinks he'd be better off in a class that parent's weren't involved in. The last week we were there a substitute teacher was running the class. She asked if he was in preschool yet. I think because of his behavior he didn't seem like he ever spent time away from me. That is the one thing that would make me nervous to have him in a class without me. He would either be very well behaved, or withdrawn and uninvolved. At least we have another year before we have to cross that bridge.

No comments: