Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bargain Meal of the Week

Photobucket

It looks like Hy-vee is making up for their so-so sales of last week with some great bargains this week. The first thing that jumps out of me is the whole chicken for $0.59/lb! I think we will be trying this over the weekend as the rumor is there is going to be so much snow we will not want to leave the house.

Baked Slow Cooker Chicken - Need 3lb chicken

Oven Roasted New Potatoes - 1.5 lb New Potatoes ($0.88/lb)

Side salad ($0.69 with in ad coupon)

Both the chicken and potatoes call for various spices that you probably already have on hand. If not you'll need to purchase them but their cost per use will only add a few cents onto each recipe.
I should add that I try skimming over the reviews when making recipes from Allrecipes.com. There usually are great tips and ideas from people that have tried the recipes.

A very yummy way to use the left over chicken is Chicken Pesto Paninis (works out well this week too, because Hy-vee also has their cheese on sale). We've made these before and they are great! One warning - if you try to save half of your sandwich to have for your lunch the next day, please don't leave it on the table while you take you children upstairs for baths. Hungry dogs have been known to get on the table and eat these while you are away. They are that good! (Ok, who am I kidding, my dog would eat anything - but he did eat my leftovers, and I was none to pleased about it).

No comments: