Sunday, February 8, 2009

Frugal Meal of the Week

Photobucket
I'm happy to provide a frugal meal idea using the Hy-vee weekly ad as my guide. I wasn't very impressed with the sales for this week, but after digging I've come up with the following:

Lazlo-like Rainbow Chicken ($3.85)
Mashed Potatoes ($0.72) (need in ad coupon to get the great price on potatoes)
Steamed Baby Carrots (.40)

What is on sale: Chicken breast ($1.79/lb); Roma tomatoes ($0.77/lb); Potatoes ($0.99/5lb - use only 1/4 bag); Cheese ($1.77); Baby Carrots ($0.99/2-1lb bags)

Lazlo's Rainbow Chicken is at the top of my favorite dining out meals. I try to recreate it in my own kitchen and it is pretty good, but will never be as good as what you can get in the restaurant.

Rainbow Chicken
Season chicken breasts to your tastes (I use salt, pepper, and a little lemon juice). Cook on grill until chicken is cooked through (about 15 minutes). Top with about 1/2 cup cheese, diced tomatoes, and chopped green peppers. Cover (or close outdoor grill) and cook until cheese is melted.

We mash our potatoes with the skins still on them for a little nutritional boost (and add butter and milk). The baby carrots are missing from this plate as a certain 2 year old requested broccoli instead.

For other frugal meal ideas visit $5 Dinners.

No comments: