Monday, August 11, 2008

Scale Obsession

When Barrett was discharged from the hospital he weighed 7lb 9.6oz, down from his 8lb 4oz birth weight. Since he was a little jaundiced we had a follow up appointment at our pediatricians office the following day, where Barrett weighed in at a hefty 7lb 15.5oz. Curt and I were so surprised and excited, thinking how great breastfeeding was going. Although we did think that was a pretty steep gain in around 33 hours. Today we decided to stop by MilkWorks to check on Barrett's weight. Much to my disappointment he only weighed 8lb 2oz, not even back to his birth weight. We came home and checked the reading materials the hospital gave us, which indicated the baby should be back to his birth weight by 2 weeks of age, which for Barrett won't be until Thursday. And I also read the breastfed baby gains about 6oz a week, and Barrett has gained around 9oz in 8 days (going from the discharge weight), which seems good. He is also wet and/or dirty every time we change him. Curt also pointed out he thinks the doctor office may have weighed him with his diaper on, which could affect the weight by a few ounces (he'd gone with the nurse to weigh Barrett at the doctor office but couldn't remember for sure if the diaper was on or off), and today we weighed him in the nude. Plus different scales can weigh a little different. I'm trying not to worry too much (pretty much trying to forget the doctor's office weight). I think we are going to go back and weigh Barrett again on Friday and if I'm still worried I can put in a call to one of the lactation consultants at our doctor's office. We're keeping our fingers crossed that he is doing fine though - he certainly seems bigger to me than he was just a week and a half ago.

1 comment:

Kaci said...

I am sure he's doing great. I remember that scale obsession so well, but it will get better. I'm glad breastfeeding is going well! Try to relax about the weight :)