Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Our new arrival


Wednesday afternoon I went to my last scheduled prenatal appointment before my Monday, August 4th c-section. I commented to the doctor that I'd been having contractions that day and some of them had been a little painful. She examined me and I was still only dilated 1 cm, but I was 90% effaced, losing my mucus plug, and definitely "had some things happening". She didn't think I would make it to Monday so she thought it would be best to do the surgery at 7:45 Thursday morning - yikes! Thankfully we'd spent Wednesday tying up some loose ends (getting new tags for my car, getting the dogs to the vet for their vaccinations) so we were pretty much ready. We got Bodie's things packed up that evening, and delivered him and our dogs to my parents, who graciously took them all in during our hospital stay. Curt and I finished packing our bag and tried to get some sleep before the big day. I woke up around midnight having some pretty intense and frequent contractions. Since I never experienced contractions with Bodie, I really didn't know at what point I needed to think about going to the hospital. I waited about an hour and a half and at 1:30 asked Curt if we could just go in early (which of course he said it was up to me since he had no idea either). I figured that at least if we went in they could give me my epidural early and let me sleep until our scheduled time. We got to the hospital, checked in, and I was completely thinned and 2.5 cm dilated. Thankfully my doctor was on call that night and she decided to just come in and do my c-section then. It was actually kind of funny when she came in my room and commented that she was afraid this might happen. At any rate, we welcomed Barrett Joseph at 3:30am on July 31st. He was 8 lb 4 oz and 20 in long (just a little guy compared to Bodie who was 9 lb 15.5 oz and 21.5 inches long). He did get a bit jaundiced in the hospital, but never enough to require any therapy (just a little sunbathing when we got home). All in all things are going very well. We feel very blessed to have our new addition here with us.
So far Bodie is getting along very well with Barrett. He loves giving him hug, kisses, and tickles. The other morning Bodie came into my room while I was still in bed. He climbed in the bed and started looking under the pillows for "baby". I found it a bit humorous and then explained that the baby was in his crib. Bodie gets very excited every time he sees Barrett, but I'm sure that novelty will wear off soon enough.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

He is too cute! Congrats again!!!!