Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bargain Meal of the week

Bargain Meal of the Week

Click on the image to go find your Bargain Meal of the Week!


Last week Christine asked for links to the Hy-vee online ad. I apologize for not including links in my posts. I wish I had a good excuse but the truth is I'm just lazy. I'll try to work on that.

If you access the Hy-vee ads on line here (I had to type in a location to get this to work so you'll need to refresh with your own location) you can see there are two ads - View Ad and View Online Ad. This clears up a lot of questions for me because I'd often get confused in the store when I'd see a sign advertising an Advertised Price and I didn't remember seeing that price in the ad.

Sale Prices are indicated next to the ingredient.

Skillet Pork Chops with Potato and Onion

2 tablespoons vegetable oil ($2.48/entire bottle - not sure how many Tablespoons that is)
4 pork chops (1/2 inch thick), trimmed ($2.49/lb)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese ($0.17 Hy-Vee Brand)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced ($0.30 for Russets)
2 medium onions, sliced ($0.23)
3 cubes beef bouillon
3/4 cup hot water (FREE!)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Coat the pork chops with flour, and place in the skillet. Brown about 4 minutes on each side.

2. In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 the Parmesan cheese mixture over the pork chops. Layer chops with the potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese mixture. Top with onion slices.

3. In a small bowl, dissolve the beef bouillon cubes in hot water. Stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the layered pork chops.

4. Cover skillet, and reduce heat. Simmer 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender and pork chops have reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

For more Bargain Meals of the Week head over to $5 dinners.

No comments: