Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bargain Meal of the Week

Bargain Meal of the Week

Click on the image to go find your Bargain Meal of the Week!

First of all I have to brag about the awesome whole chicken deal I scored at Hy-vee last week. For the past few weeks I have been trying to use my $0.59/lb whole chicken rain check from early February but they've been out of chickens each time I go in. Thankfully they had 2 in stock last week and I picked the larger one for my purchase (5.04lb @ $1.79/lb). Evidently Hy-vee was having a "Meat Sack Sale" which scored me 20% off my purchase ($2.60 - which is more that 20% but this was the only meat I bought, so I'm not sure how that worked but I'll take it). Then the girl was trying to calculate how much to credit me for using my rain check, and finally settled on $6! So I bought my chicken, originally costing $9.02, for a mere $0.42! Or just over $.08/lb. Can't beat that!

At first look of the Hy-vee ad, I immediately knew I had to use my Mother-in-law's potato soup recipe. It definitely isn't the most frugal to make, but with the deals this week it is definitely a better bargain than any other time this winter (and at 8 degrees this morning it is sounding really good).

Cheesy Potato Soup

8 slices bacon, crumbled ($1.99/package Oscar Mayer brand)
1 pkg frozen hash browns ($0.98 Lynden Farms brand)
4 cups water
2T chicken flavored bouillon granules
1/2 c margarine
12 slices American cheese ($0.88 Kraft singles)
1c green onions
2c sour cream ($0.99/16oz)
2c milk ($1.18/half gallon)
1t salt
1/2t white pepper

Prepare bacon in skillet over medium heat. Drain and crumble. In a large stockpan combine hash browns, water and bouillon granules. Cover and place over medium low heat until hash browns are thawed and crumbled. Add bacon and remaining ingredients. Stir until well blended. Cover and cook over low heat about 20 minutes (always seem to take longer than this for me) or until potatoes are tender. Do not allow soup to boil.

For more Bargain Meals of the Week head over to $5 dinners.

1 comment:

Kaci said...

What an awesome deal!