Monday, March 10, 2008

Stick a fork in me...

I know I've written in the past about Bodie's eating habits - loves fruit, pretty good with veggies, hates meat. Well last week we discovered the missing magic tool to help him eat...the fork! One night we were eating pork chops, broccoli, and a Parmesan PastaRoni side dish. I figured he'd eat the broccoli and nothing else. Since we were having a pasta dish I gave him silverware (usually I don't bother because he just uses it to toss his food around or put dents and scratches in our table - but if it is something strange textured I feel bad not offering him silverware). His toddler spoon was dirty so I gave him the matching fork. It was like a powerful new toy! He gobbled down his broccoli with the fork. It was kind of funny to watch because if he couldn't stab the broccoli to pick it up, he would pick up the broccoli and stick it on the fork. After the broccoli was gone, he asked for more (he ate all that I cooked) so I put a bite of pasta on the fork. Now I should say that he loves spaghetti with red sauce, but I've never seen him eat any pasta with a white sauce. The magical fork must have done the trick. He ate all the pasta I gave him, and then I ended up giving him half of what I had on my plate because he had eaten it so well. The fork couldn't bring any magic to the pork chop though. When I put that on the fork he gave me the big head shake.

The next night we ate Chicken and Bow Tie Pasta which I didn't think Bodie would touch with a 10 foot pole. That magical fork worked again though, and he ate about half of what we gave him. He still wants nothing to do with meat, but hopefully this is the beginning of him becoming a little less picky.

One note about the Chicken and Bow Tie Pasta...It was pretty tasty and I'm sure we'll make it again. It did taste like it was missing a little something though. Next time I'll experiment by adding some onion and possibly seasoning the chicken while it is cooking.

No comments: