Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dammit

Curt has been warning me for months now that when Bodie uses his first expletive I will have no one to blame but myself. Around Bodie I only use those words when something really bad happens, like I shut my dog's paw in the window (Deuce is OK though). So Friday night Curt was gone refereeing and before 7:30 Barrett started getting really fussy and I knew it was time to feed him and put him to bed. Typically when Curt is gone it works out that I can feed Barrett while reading Bodie his bedtime stories but it was a little early for that on Friday. I talked Bodie into coming upstairs to my room and watching TV while I put Barrett to sleep. Sounds good in theory but Bodie has a short attention span when it comes to TV. He'll watch for somewhat longer periods if it is Blue's Clues or his Tractors DVD but the DVD player in our room quit working, so I had to resort to the (annoying) Wonder Pets on Noggin. Bodie was pretty restless and climbing all over the bed, which was making Deuce a bit nervous. Deuce jumped over my legs and knocked the remote off the bed and I said "Dammit". Which Bodie then repeated, and repeated, and repeated. I couldn't help but laugh. Yesterday he was pulling his wooden train off his shelf when it fell apart and he said "dammit!". Yikes! I explained to him we do not use that word (nice example you set mommy!). But he continued to use it all day yesterday when things didn't go his way. So I continued telling him not to use it. Curt thinks our new method should just be to ignore it and maybe Bodie will quit using it. This has taught me a very valuable lesson though. When Joe Ganz threw that horrible interception during overtime last night, all I could say was "shoot" which Bodie dutifully repeated over and over again...

No comments: