Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Hard Day's Night

I'm not sure if we are in the terrible twos, Bodie is sick, or Bodie is just teething, but we have had a rough weekend. Yesterday was the better of the two, we went to the Farmer's Market in the morning and then Curt took Bodie to the Tractor Museum on UNL's East campus (this kid has a huge tractor obsession) followed by the park. Bodie took a nice nap, was whiny but not terrible during the evening. Today was a whole other story.

Curt was going golfing today, so it was me and Bodie. Last weekend I dreaded Curt being gone all day to a referee clinic but Bodie behaved so well, I hoped today would be more of the same. I learned quickly it wouldn't be. After Curt left Bodie and I went outside. He was alright but it was so hot out already I seriously was feeling light headed, so we had to come in. Then Bodie whined until I put on his tractor DVD, we watched that for a bit and then Grandma came over and we went shopping. Thankfully Bodie is (usually) well behaved when we go out and about. After shopping we went on a picnic lunch, and drove through Pioneers Park to look at the animals, most of which must have been taking shelter from the heat. Then we came home, had a pineapple snack, changed diaper and it was nap time. Or so I thought. As soon as I changed Bodie's diaper he started crying for a diaper (a sign of impending poo). I waited another 10 minutes, nothing happened and I took him up to bed. He kept getting out of bed wanting a diaper, nothing was happening, I left for 5 minutes, went back to his room, and this cycle repeated itself for a good 30 minutes. Finally he "went", I changed him, and then the struggles continued - minus the cries for a diaper but plus the cries from mama. I ended up calling Curt, praying he was on his way home and he was. Bodie ended up falling asleep by 2:30, just after Curt got home. We let him sleep until 4:30, when Curt got him up and he was in a fog for a while after. The rest of the evening never seemed to get much better. We had to give him a haircut, which ranks on his list of least favorite activities. I did manage to feel that he finally has a 2-year molar coming in which could explain a lot of our issues. He is pretty snotty (literally from the nose not just behavior-wise) so I am contemplating calling the doctor. We've been giving him benadryl before bed but it makes him very sleepy so I can't see giving it to him during the day time. It has helped though, before we gave it to him last week he woke up a few mornings with snot all over his face but has been clean ever since we started him on it. I guess I'll see what his mood in the morning is like.

1 comment:

Kaci said...

Sounds like a combination of teething & typical two year old behavior. Sorry you had a rough day.